Wednesday 19 February 2014

Bruce and Me

It's no secret that I harbour a passion nay a near-obsession with Bruce Springsteen.  I know his struggles, his histories, and his poetry.  He is a troubador who sings straight to my heart.  Always has.  I love how he tells a story with every record, commercial success be-damned.  Every word, every note, every melody speaks to me; I get him.

I never, however, had the pleasure of seeing him and the incomparable E-Street Band live; not ever.  Somehow the planets just never aligned.  But is has happened now; twice in 8 months in Melbourne.  Last May's event began for me with a shortness of breath in anticipation and I think I only remembered to breathe 3 and a half hours later.  That concert resonated with me for days.

Bruce returned to Melbourne this month and I was first in line with fingers over the SUBMIT button the moment tickets went on sale.  Oh man, the concert this past weekend...

I can only describe it as the closest thing to an ecstatic religious experience that I suspect I will ever have.  I sang every word, swayed to every beat, hollered till I was hoarse, wished for more.  Another 3 and a half hours of pure musical joy, stories sung, emotions wrung; every moment was pure magic.

Here are a couple clips of the two songs that bring me to my knees (or dancing on my seat):


"Ghost of Tom Joad" with newest E-Street Band member, the completely brilliant Tom Morello - together absolute musical genius


Rosalita - best Springsteen EVER and with the Big Man, Clarence Clemens, circa 1988 really does Rock and Roll get any purer?

2 comments:

Expatriate Tax Services said...

Couldn't agree more on your pick of best Springsteen song.

Sheila Cook said...

Total rock chick!! Sounds like it was awsome xx