Monday 10 May 2010

If I Can't Be A Soccer Mom, Can I Be A Marathon Mom?

You may recall from earlier postings such as "Where is Tim Horton's When You Need One", my lamenting of J's team sport playing abilities. To summarize again, he celebrates when his weekly football (soccer) practice is cancelled, flinches when the ball comes anywhere near him, and would rather blow the fluff off of dandelions than be caught chasing anything resembling a football. Apply the same analogies to hockey and baseball, and you get the general picture.

However, as I have also said, put the kid on skis, in water, or on a bike in the woods with logs, roots, and hills to climb, and I would challenge you to either catch him or match the volume of his 'woo hoos'.

He was equally impressive during his participation in the 1.7km Course de l'Escalade this past December. So, I was given to indulge his pleading to run in the kids race in the annual Geneva Marathon this weekend. Thanks to my friend Sher, I mentioned the race to him and the pleading ensued.

I gotta say, for a dandelion blower, he was darn impressive. Nerves of steel all day, cool as a cucumber at the start and smoked that girl in pink.


Receiving his medal

OK, so if the NHL and the 2022 World Cup are not in his future, maybe the Olympics or the Ironman, or the Boston Marathon, or the X-games...

6 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

Way to go J!!!! Team sports or over-rated. I'll take a good friend over a football pass any day.

Esther said...

Whatever it takes ot secure the pension fund.

Well done Jack!

Esther said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DL NELSON said...

Let the kid develop what he loves. Why waste precious time on the other stuff.

And being a dandelion blower is a pretty good thing to be...

You go J...

Another marathon mom of a much older kid who does it her way...

Jen said...

Interesting! We have Nate in soccer this year and it is too soon to tell how he will do in team type sports...I intend to keep exposing him to team sports to try and develop some of the skills that go along with being in a team, but I wonder if he'll be like Jack in the end...considering his dad is very much an individual athlete :) It is very exciting though to read of Jack running and I so wish he were closer to help inspire Nate with the biking.... Give him congrats hugs for us!!!

M said...

I can cheer him on as a runner too! GO GIACCOMO! and yes, you can be a marathon Mom!