Friday 8 May 2009

YES I CAN (I think)

Two days to go and here's my plan for the Geneva half-marathon this Sunday.

Find the 2-hour pace setter, take the first 5K to find a comfortable rhythm and stride, hold that pace for the next 10K. For the last 6.975K, hang on for dear life, keeping the 2-hour pace setter in my line of sight.

My nagging hamstring and achilles strains are no worse, in spite of a day walking around Evian-les-Bains today in pretty but not practical shoes. The weather forecast looks ok, sun/cloud with a temperature around 21c.

Much of the race takes place around both sides of Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) and lucky for us, the Julius Baer Challenge regatta also takes place this weekend which includes the Swiss team Alinghi, training in their defence of the America's Cup next year. Cool - stuff to watch while lamenting my burning lungs and screaming knees.

My iPod is updated with a longer playlist and I've started carbo-loading. I've also put a bottle of champagne in the fridge to toast the occasion with my fellow competitors and friends, Cindy and Leigh-Anne whom I've invited over with their families for a post-race apero on Sunday afternoon. Okay, I think I'm ready...

6 comments:

Melissa Miller said...

YOU CAN and YOU WILL. I wish I could be there to see you at the finish line in all your sweaty glory. GOOD LUCK. Know that I'll be thinking of you the whole time!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear all about it! Good luck!
x
Tima

Esther said...

Hurrah - I'll have my pom-poms ready for you,

Give us a C!

Hopefully we'll see you on Sunday. May the force be with you!

Jen said...

I sooo wish we were going to be there to cheer you on! And to help you with that bubbly of course... Have a great time (can one say that about a 1/2 marathon??)!!

Melissa Miller said...

Good Luck!!!

Unknown said...

Heyyy...I had posted a comment on here and it is AWOL. Never fear though...here I am again. By this time you have probably already run the marathon (okay...the half) and are celebrating somewhere. So congratulations since good luck is probably redundant. :-)